Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Baking Splurge

When I went to the doctor and realized I'd gained 5 pounds I decided I should probably cut back on the sugar for awhile. I did relatively well for a few weeks, but then a strong desire to bake hit me and I had to indulge it.

So first indulgence:

I knew I wanted to make cookies. I bought chocolate chips at the grocery store because I needed to make cookies. Cookies are delicious. I knew I wanted to use oatmeal, nuts, and chocolate chips. So with a simple search on smitten kitchen I came up with this. Changes I made: I at least tripled the amount of cinnamon and doubled the amount of cloves and nutmeg. I am a firm believer that recipes never call for enough spices so I always increase the amount require. I used walnuts instead of pecans (because that's what I had). I think you could definitely decrease the sugar in this recipe a little bit. They were pretty sweet. I was doing this on my lunch break (once again) and completely forgot to take any pictures while baking. However, I promise you these are delicious. My fiance (calling him that makes me smile) said, "These are the most delicious cookies I've ever had!!" and proceeded to eat a dozen in one day.

Second indulgence::

I love the Farmer's Market and Madison just so happens to have an amazing one. The first few weeks of spring there was not a lot of fresh produce at the market, but something I saw over and over was rhubarb. So I decided I needed to experiment. I picked some up at the Tuesday night market (which is .1 miles from my apartment) and once again searched Smitten Kitchen for a recipe. There were a few options and I decided on this crumble. I made very few changes, only slightly increasing everything because I had closer to 3 cups of rhubarb. It was delicious, and disappeared VERY quickly.















~The Wisconsin Sister

P.S. The Florida Sister's carrot cupcakes were delicious. You should probably make some immediately.

1 comment:

  1. We've got a 3 day weekend ahead of us, and I can't wait to make these cookies. XXOO

    ReplyDelete