Saturday, March 12, 2011

Baking Addiction

Attention. Attention. Attention. I have a baking ADDICTION.

In the past 8 days I've made:

Buckeyes
Chocolate Cake
Eclairs
Pancakes
Muffins

To be fair. I gave away half the buckeyes, the cake was for a birthday, and I gave away all the eclairs except for one, which I split with my guy.

Anyways, I've decided since I know this addiction won't magically disappear that I need to make my baking a little healthier (by which I mean use less butter and more healthful ingredients).

Last week I bought some special flours to make the aforementioned muffins. This morning when a pancake craving hit, I decided to use some of them to make my pancakes slightly more "healthy".

Here's my recipe:

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup hazelnut meal (I made my own by toasting the hazelnuts for 12 min in the oven and then grinding them up in a processor)
1/4 cup teff flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/8 cups lowfat or fat free buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tablespoons butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients. Mix in buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Stir until just combined. The batter will be somewhat lumpy, but that's ok. Don't overmix!

Heat your pan to medium heat. Add some butter to prevent sticking. I used 1/4 cup to dish out the batter, which made 8 decently sized pancakes. Wait until they're golden brown on the bottom and then flip to the other side. We enjoyed these with some frozen blueberries and raspberries, which I cooked up in a little maple syrup on the stove. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment