Saturday, March 12, 2011

Delicious Muffins

Two posts in one day? Yup! Hopefully someone out there is still reading this blog.

These muffins are delicious. I got the recipe from La Tartine Gourmande, which is the first blog I ever started following with any sort of regularity. I love this blog. The pictures are gorgeous, the food is delicious, and I wish I could be friends with Bea (the writer) and her adorable daughter.

When I saw these muffins I knew I had to make them.

A. They looked amazing.
B. With their healthier flours, and less sugar/butter they fit the bill for my healthier baking regime.



















Indredients:

1 cup millet flour (140 g)
1/2 cup hazlenut meal (50 g)
1/3 cup teff flour (40 g)
1/3 cup brown rice flour (40 g)
1/4 cup quinoa flakes (20 g)
3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar (80 g)
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar (30 g)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/3 cup lowfat or fatfree buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
2 large bananas, mashed with a fork
black sesame seeds for sprinking

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with paper cups. (This recipe makes a dozen muffins.) Combine dry ingredients except for sugar.

Combine sugars and eggs and beat until light colored. Add buttermilk, vanilla, and butter. Stir until combined. Add mashed bananas. Stir some more.

Add dry ingredients. Don't overmix! Spoon batter into paper cups and then sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake for 20-25 min. They're done when you stick in a knife and it comes out clean!

The flours are a little pricey and can be kinda hard to find. Most health food stores will have some in bulk so you don't have to buy a bunch. I bought a bag of teff flour and though it cost a bit, it was well worth it. These are DELICIOUS! I couldn't find hazelnut flour so I made my own. I bought hazelnuts in bulk (already out of their shells), toasted them for 12 min in a 350 oven, and then after they'd cooled ground them up in a food processor. I was worried about them becoming a butter so I added a tablespoon of sugar (which I had read would help prevent this).

We enjoyed our muffins warm with a little butter and a big glas of milk!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is a lonely little blog with not many comments. I admit that I often forget about it. These muffins look delicious. And the hot chocolate a few posts back I am going to make as soon as I get up... although there is this little dog that is all snuggled in and I hate to disturb him. I like the healthy recipes because I love to bake as you know, but I can't have the stuff around so I am definitely going to try these muffins. Love you, my baking girls.

    ReplyDelete