Thursday, March 17, 2011

Carrot Pudding
















Over the weekend I went to the library. I had accrued a $5 fine and had been avoiding going to the library so I wouldn't have to pay it, but I couldn't wait any longer! I wanted to check out Jane Eyre and read it before the movie comes out.

I, of course, had to go peruse the cooking/baking books. It's nice to check out cookbooks and page through them in the coziness of your own home. One of the books I checked out was the Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts. I have two Moosewood books and love them both, so I was quite excited to see a whole book devoted to desserts! This seems to be the perfect book to aid me in my new pursuit of healthy baking. I think I might have to purchase it.

Without further ado, carrot pudding:

Ingredients:
1 c peeled and chopped carrots
1 c water
1/2 c packed brown sugar **
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1 egg white
1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Combine carrots and water in pan and cover. Simmer on medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes until tender. Cool the carrots and cooking liquid slightly (I put mine in a bowl and then put them in the freezer). They don't have to be super cool...just not boiling hot (which is bad for your food processor). Blend them up in a food processor or blender. Cool. (I put them back in the freezer for 5 minutes and they got plenty cool). While you're waiting you can preheat the oven to 350 and lightly butter, oil or spray your ramekins**. Also, boil some water (enough to fill a baking pan halfway).

Beat the carrot puree with the brown sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and egg white. Mix well. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl then fold into the carrot mixture.

Divide the batter between the ramekins. Place the cups in a baking pan. Place the baking pan in the oven. Pull your rack out a little and then put in the boiling water (it should reach about halfway on your cups). Bake for 35 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of a pudding comes out clean. Remove the cups from the pan and cool.

These are good, but not the best thing I've ever made or even in the top hundred. It was nice to eat them with a clear conscious. These have .3 grams of fat and include carrots! So I'm pretty sure this "dessert" is actually health food.

**I ran out of brown sugar so I made my own! I mixed 1 cup of white sugar with 1 tbs molasses and stirred them together with a fork. Then I packed my half cup for this recipe. I'm saving the leftover sugar for other recipes!

**I love ramekins. I use them for their true baking purpose only every couple of months. However, we use them all the time - to prep ingredients or to eat ice cream or yogurt in. It makes my daily yogurt eating that much more special.


No comments:

Post a Comment